OPI Fiji Collection - Swatches & Review

Tuesday 7 March 2017


Do you have a wishlist of places you would love to visit?  I know I do and Fiji is definitely one of them.  The closest I will get to Fiji is with the OPI Fiji Collection and I am ok with that.  Well for now anyway.  There are some fantastic colours in this collection, and a good mix of both bright and pastel colours.  Plus Melbourne has been turning up the heat for us lately so I am definitely in Spring mode now.  Before I get side tracked here, let's get into the swatches.


Coconuts Over OPI is described as a taupe creme.  I quite like the colour of this one (you can never have too many nude/taupe colours in my opinion) and the formula is great.  I used two coats for my swatch.

Picture taken in light box
Do You Sea What I Sea? is described as a shimmery ocean blue.  I do like the colour of this one (and it definitely gives me beach vibes) but I'm not a huge fan of the formula.  It is on the sheer side and drags as you apply it on the first coat.  The second and third coats do apply a lot nicer though.  The tips are still see through in direct light after three coats.  For my swatch I used three coats, but I think next time I might use it over a base colour.  I have seen swatches of this over Super Trop-i-cal-i-fiji-istic and it looks so beautiful.

Picture taken in light box
Exotic Birds Do Not Tweet is a yellow creme.  This yellow matches the yellow on the label of our peanut butter jar (random information for you there but I thought it was funny when I was making a sandwich for my daughter).  Anyway, this one does apply unevenly and needed three coats to even out.  I do think it is a fun colour though.

Picture taken in light box
Getting Nadi On My Honeymoon is described as a a hibiscus pink.  This is such a gorgeous colour, but like most light colours it applies unevenly and needs three coats to even out.  I did find that if you float the brush across you nails it applies more evenly.  I am not sure why I haven't tried doing this before but it definitely helps with the application.  My swatch shows three coats.

Picture taken in light box
I Can Never Hut Up is described as a edge-of-dawn grey with iridescence.  I originally thought that this was a grey creme until I could a glimpse of the sheen in direct light.  It's actually quite pretty and gives it a little lift from being just a flat creme (not that there is anything wrong with cremes - I LOVE creme polishes).  The formula is good and easy to work with.  I used two coats for my swatch.

Picture taken in light box

Picture taken in direct sunlight

Picture taken in direct sunlight
Is That A Spear In Your Pocket? is a teal creme.  This is a gorgeous color (it's not quite as blue toned as it looks in my picture) and the formula is fantastic.  For my swatch I used two coats.

Picture taken in light box
Living On The Bula-vard! is a bright orange toned red creme.  I found this one to apply quite unevenly, and needed three coats to even it out.

Picture taken in light box
No Tan Lines is described as a warm sunrise orange.  I think this would make for a great gradient with Living On The Bula-vard!  Oh and with Exotic Birds Don't Tweet.  I'm giving myself some ideas here.  Anyway, the formula is easy to work with but it does apply unevenly.  I used three coats for my swatch.

Picture taken in light box
Polly Want A Lacquer? a lavender creme.  No surprise that I find this one to be gorgeous.  Again, because it is such a light shade it does apply a little unevenly (floating your brush definitely helps with the application).  For my swatch I used three coats.

Picture taken in light box
Super Trop-i-cal-i-fiji-istic is a blue creme.  I really like the colour of this one and the formula is fantastic.  It's close to being a one coater and it stamps quite well.  My swatch shows two coats.  Just an FYI my bottle is labelled as Super Trip-i-cal-i-fiji-istic which I am assuming that this is a typo but thought I would mention it for in case you are wanting to pick up a bottle that has the same label as mine.


Suzi Without A Paddle is a pastel blue creme.  The colour of this one is really pretty, but like with the other pastels in this collection it does apply unevenly and needs three coats to even out.

Picture taken in light box
Two-Timing The Zones is a vibrant pink creme.  This is a great colour and has a great formula.  For my swatch I used two coats.

Picture taken in light box
I am a big fan of this collection.  I think there are some fantastic colours in here but the formulas are a little all over the place.  I was hoping that the formulas would be for like the Washington Collection.  That collection definitely had some of the best formulas.  My personal favourites from this collection are Polly Want A Lacquer? Getting Nadi On My Honeymoon and Is That A Spear In Your Pocket?, closely followed by Super Trop-i-cal-i-fiji-istic, Suzi Without A Paddle, Two-Timing The Zones and Coconuts Over OPI.

If you would like me to do any swatch comparisons let me know which polishes you would like to see and I'll see if I can do them.

The OPI Fiji Collection is available now from Myer, David Jones and selected salons. 

4 comments:

  1. Great swatches! Both of the blues are on my radar & I've been tossing up whether or not to get Polly Want A Lacquer(?) as I've read mixed reviews for it. Any polish that might cause a headache isn't worth it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shell. It makes it hard when there are mixed reviews doesn't it? If it helps, I found that floating the brush helped it apply better than painting it on how you normally would. It is a pretty colour

      Delete
  2. Wow what a collection, the colours are gorgeous! Love the little bit about the peanut butter jar - I'm forever saying 'ooh that looks like so and so a polish' when I see colours on products etc!
    As is typical, all the colours I liked had tricky formulas. However 3 coats isn't too bad. As for the dragging, could it be solved by using a different basecoat?
    Vicky xx
    @thepolishlist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous collection isn't it? I do tend to comment about things matching polishes (or seeing cars and wanting that colour in a polish lol).

      I'm not sure if a different base coat would help or not. I just have the one base coat, although I am about the run out of my beloved one that has been discounted for a few years now :( What base coat do you use?

      Delete