OPI Hawaii Collection - Swatches & Review

Tuesday 10 March 2015


Once upon a time there was a young girl named Tracy who stepped foot into David Jones and made her very first OPI purchase.  From this day she fell deeply in love with the brand (and polish in general).  Now fast forward to today and this girl has now welcomed the Hawaii collection to her ever growing OPI collection. 

Aloha From OPI is described as a bright creamy coral.  The formula on this was good.  It went on easily and only needed two coats.

Do You Take Lei Away? is a creamy nude.  While I do usually prefer my colour (particularly brighter colours) I do love this polish.  The colour is beautiful and the formula is great,  I used two coats for my swatch below.

Hello Hawaii Ya? is a dusty purple.  This one is another one of my favorites from this collection.  I can see me wearing it lots and all year round too.  The formula is fantastic too.  Only two coats were needed for full coverage.

Go With The Lava Flow is described as a golden red which I think is quite accurate.  It's a red based polish with fine gold shimmer through out.  It's a really pretty red (and that's coming from someone who isn't really drawn to reds).  The formula on this one was great too.  I used two coats for my swatch.

Is Mai Tai Crooked? is an orange creme.  I love the colour of this one but was disappointed with the formula.  It applied really patchy and seemed thicker than the other polishes in this collection.  I'm not sure if it's just my bottle that is like this or not but I am going to try thinning it to see if that helps.  I used three coats for my swatch.

Just Lanai-ing Around is described as a dark cremey mauve.  I was very surprised at how much I actually like this colour.  Normally it's not a colour I would typically go for but it's really pretty on the nails.  The formula was fantastic too.  I used two coats for my swatch.

Lost My Bikini In Molokini is described as a reef inspired purple.  I don't mind what type of purple you want to call this one but it is gorgeous.  And the formula is amazing.  If you apply it carefully (and do a slightly thicker coat than usual) it could easily be a one coater.  I used two coats for my swatch.

My Gecko Does Tricks is described as a bright and pearly green.  It's not my favorite polish in the collection but I don't hate it.  It definitely is unique in my collection.  The formula is ok.  It applies well but you have noticeable brush strokes (they are more noticeable in person than they are in my pic).  I used two coats for my swatch.

Pineapple's Have Feelings Too! is described as a gold shimmer with colourful sparkle.  This is definitely not my type of polish at all.  I'm not a fan of yellow gold polishes and I don't like the glitter with it.  The formula was easy to use and I didn't need to fish for any glitter so that was a plus.  The brush strokes on this one are much more noticeable in person than what my picture shows.  I used two coats for my swatch.

Suzi Shops & Island Hops is described as a light and happy pink which I think is the perfect description (mind you I am a big fan of pinks).  I found the formula of this one rather patchy so I needed three coats for full coverage.

That's Hula-rious is a  pastel mint green and I think it's gorgeous.  The formula can be tricky so careful application is needed to stop it from being patchy and needing three coats.  I only needed two coats for my swatch below.

This Color Is Making Waves is described as a shimmering lagoon blue.  I was a little worried that you wouldn't see the colour shift in this one once it was on the nail but you definitely can.  I think it's super pretty,  The formula was great to apply but you do have some visible brush strokes.  I used two coats for my swatch.

I love this collection! While there is a couple that I can't say I will be grabbing for in my collection in a hurry there are some gorgeous ones that will be getting used regularly.  My absolute favorites are Do You Lei Away?, Hello Hawaii Ya? and Lost My Bikini In Molokini.

I am planning on doing a swatch comparison post with this collection so if there are any polishes that you would like to see let me know.

OPI Hawaii Collection is available now from Myer and David Jones.












2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog posts. You tell the reader exactly what they need and want to hear about polishes! I might still buy something you say applies patchily but at least I'm aware. I really love Aloha and as you made me buy I Brake For Color ;) I would be interested in a comparison with that. My other favourites are Suzi Shops and That's Hularious and I will probably have to have them even if I do have ten or so dupes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire. I figure if I write the stuff that I would want to know then it may be helpful to others. I will still buy polishes even if I know the formulas are rubbish (eg those CG neons that I use constantly). I have pulled out Aloha and I Brake For Color to do a comparison of. I should hopefully get time to do them over the weekend. As for Suzi Shops and That's Hula-rious I was actually surprised that I don't have any exact dupes (well based on the colours in the bottles).

    ReplyDelete