Favourite Mainstream Polishes 2018

Friday 28 December 2018


Today is where things start to get a little more interesting (and be interesting I mean challenging).  If you don't know I also have a really had time narrowing down my favourites.  I tried to be a lot tougher on my favourites throughout the months in order to make my job now a little easier but I'm not sure how much that helped.  Anyway, I have managed to narrow my mainstream favourites to just twenty polishes.  I haven't included any of the polishes that I have listed in my Favourite Collections post - so brands like Color Club are missing for today's post because I loved the full collection.  Right, let's look at my mainstream favourites for 2018.


CHINA GLAZE
I don't know about you guys but I feel like things have been a little quieter on the polish front from China Glaze this year.  I only grabbed five new collections this year and there was only one collection that I skipped over (the OMG Flashback Collection).  Anyway, we have seen some really great polishes from China Glaze this year.  Both formula wise and colour wise.

Barre Hopping is from the Chic Physique Collection.  I absolutely love this colour.  I love it by itself as well as a a base for a topper (which you will see in a mintue).  This polish looks very similar to OPI's Lavedare To Find Courage in the bottle.  I haven't swatched them together so I can't comment on if they are dupes or not.

Picture taken in light box
Get It Right, Get It Bright is probably my favourite polish from the Chic Physique Collection.  I love both the colour and the shimmer in it.  It also looks amazing over Barre Hopping, which is what I wore it over for my swatch as I find it too sheer for my personal taste. 

Picture taken in light box
Glamletics is the final polish that I love from the Chic Physique Collection.  I think the Chic Physique Collection would have to be my faovurite of the five collections from China Glaze this year.  There are so many beautiful colours.  Like this blue!
 
Picture taken in light box
Lukewarm Wishes is such a gorgeous polish from the Grinch Collection.  It is very sheer so I personally will only wear it as a topper.  For my swatch I used it over black, but I am excited to play with it over some other colours.  I think it's going to look so pretty over so many colours.
 
Picture taken in light box
Who Wonder is another polish from the Grinch Collection that made it into my top twenty polishes.  I did have a couple of others from this collection but they ended up being cut.  Anyway, this is definitely my favourite polish from the collection.  It grabbed my attention as soon as I saw the collection and it didn't disappoint. 

Picture taken in light box
Pret-a-potion is from the Paint It Black Collection.  I love that this collection just focused on blakc polishes in different finishes.  I think it's such a cool idea.  I think for most people this is just a boring black glitter topper, but there is something magic about it for me.  Yes it's simple, but I love it.  I especially love it over China Glaze Chic Happens.
 
Picture taken in light box
Don't Be Sea Salty is from the Shades Of Paradise Collection.  This polish is bright, it's pink, it has shimmer and it's matte (well it's more satin than matte) - I mean how could this polish not be in my favourites?  I do love it both matte and shiny.
 
Picture taken in light box
Ma-holo At Me is a stunning blue holo from the Shades Of Paradise Collection.  I know there is nothing ground breaking about this polish but I still love it.
 
Picture taken in direct sunlight
Stop Beachfrontin' is a gorgeous purple creme from the Shades Of Paradise Collection.  I actually have a few favourites from this collection, but as a whole the collection isn't my favourite.  Anyway, I had a tough choice between this purple and OPI's Grandma Kissed A Gaucho.  They do look very similar in the bottles but this one is maybe a little brighter which is why I decided to add this to my favourites for 2018. 

Picture taken in light box
And last but certainly not least for my favourites from China Glaze (and also from the Shades Of Paradise Collection) Water-falling In Love.  This is such a stunning light blue polish.  

Picture taken in light box
OPI
Oh OPI - the brand that really started my collecting of polishes.  I will always have a soft spot for this brand.  That being said, OPI do make some really great polishes.  Hands down my favourite collection was the Metamorphosis Collection.

No Turning Back From Pink Street is from the Lisbon Collection.  I think this could be my second favourite collection from OPI this year.  There are some awesome colours (and formulas) in this collection.  Like this pink!  It's such a beautiful colour and a staple for everyone's collection.

Picture taken in light box
Tile Art To Warm The Heart is another gorgeous shade from the Lisbon Collection.  There isn't much to say about this one other than it's gorgeous and has a great formula.

Picture taken in light box
Lisbon Wants Moor OPI is again from the Lisbon Collection.  Did I mention that I like the Lisbon Collection?  This is one of those fresh and clean colours that I like, especially if I feel like a break from such bold colours.
 
Picture taken in light box
Berry Fairy Fun is one of my favourite polishes from the recent Nutcracker And The Four Realms Collection.  It was one of the first polishes to catch my eye and it didn't disappoint.
 
Picture taken in light box
Dreams Need Clara-fication is a gorgeous periwinkle blue from the Nutcracker And The Four Realms Collection.  I am always a sucker for periwinkle blues.
 
Picture taken in light box
Tinker, Thinker, Winker? is a stunning silver holo from the Nutcracker And The Four Realms Collection.  This isn't the greatest representation of this polish.  It is soooo holo in person but the day I wore this I didn't have the strongest sunshine to capture it properly.  I wore this over black and I loved the combination.  

Picture taken in light box
Don't Toot My Flute is from the Peru Collection.  I received the mini bottles of the Peru Collection to swatch and I have a few that I want to buy full sized bottles of.  This is definitely one of the polishes that I need the full sized bottle of.  It's such a stunning colour.

Picture taken in light box
PICTURE POLISH
piCture pOlish is one of those brands that doesn't really fit into the mainstream category but they also don't fit into the indie category.  Given I have sooooooo many more indie favourites than mainstream I thought I would add them into the mainstream category.

Princess is a polish that was released in June along side my own collaboration shade.  While I love all of the polishes that were released with my shade this is definitely my favourite that was released along side mine.  Princess is just a stunning pink polish.
  
Picture taken in light box
Royal is of course one of my favourite polishes of 2018!  It's my very own collaboration shade with piCture pOlish.  I absolutely love this polish and have worn it quite a few times this year already.  Thank you to everyone who has picked it up and shared your pictures on social media.  I love seeing them.
    
Picture taken in direct sunlight
SALLY HANSEN
I haven't really played with too many Sally Hansen polishes this year, but a real stand out collection is the Back To School Collection.  This is the first (and only) collection of Insta-dri's I have and I am so impressed with the formulas.  They are seriously so good!

Bluetiful is one of the polishes from the Back To School Collection.  This colour reminds me of Pacific Blue (they aren't dupes and really aren't anything a like).  It is such a great eye catching colour!  This is one that I have already worn a few times.

Picture taken in light box
I feel like this year we have seen the mainstream brands step up their formulas.  I have found that there has been more good formulas and a lot more consistency between polishes.  Plus we have seen so many beautiful colours.  Anyway, that brings me to the end of my top 20 mainstream polishes for 2018.  Bring on 2019!  I am so excited to see what the new year brings for the mainstream brands!  Now I'm off to try and work out my indie favourites.  I'll see you guys tomorrow!

Let me know which mainstream brand was your favourite this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment