China Glaze Summer Reign Collection - Swatches & Review

Tuesday 18 April 2017


China Glaze have certainly been very busy this year with all of their releases.  I recently swatched and reviewed their Spring Fling Collection (you can find that post here if you are interested) and now have the Summer Reign Collection to share with you.  I will also have the Spring Pastel Collection and the Shades Of Nude Collection to share with you soon.  It's safe to say that my swatch racks are overflowing at the moment.  Anyway, lets talk about the Summer Reign Collection shall we?


All Glammed Up is a mint creme.  I love this colour and the formula is easy to work with.  It does apply unevenly on the first coat but even out on the second.  My swatch shows two coats.


Chroma Cool is a silver metallic chrome.  As you can see in my picture this one has very visible brush strokes (they are even more obvious in person too).  The formula is easy to use and opaque in two coats.


Emerald Bae is a green creme. I like the colour of this one and the formula is awesome.  You could easily get away with doing one coat.  I used two coats for my swatch.


Flame-Boyant is a bright red creme.  This is probably the brightest red polish that I have seen.  If you have short nails or don't mind a visible nail line you could do one to two coats of this polish as it applies so evenly.  I used three coats for my swatch.


High Standards is a golden metallic chrome.  This is the same as Chrome Cool - easy to use, visible brush strokes and opaque in two coats.


I Truly Azure You is a blue shimmer.  This is a nice colour and easy to use.  My swatch shows two coats.


Rose My Name is a magenta shimmer.  I think this is a nice colour and it's easy to use.  My swatch shows two coats.


Simply Fa-Blue-Less is described as a bright blue creme.  This one to me is more of a jelly than a creme.  I am a fan of this one though.  Half of the bristles on my brush are missing so I did find this one a little trick to work with, however I think that is more because of the brush than the formula.  I used three coats for my swatch.


Sultry Solstice is a neon orange.  This one I found was too sheer for my liking (I am thinking it would take four plus coats to be opaque) so I layered it over a white base.  It's easy to use and is nice and bright.  I used two coats over white.


Summer Reign is described as a bright purple shimmer.  This polish is absolutely gorgeous in person but it doesn't look great in pictures.  I am disappointed with how it looks in pictures but this is the best I could get.  Silly neons freaking out the camera.  Anyway, this one does dry matte (and it looks quite pretty) so it does dry quickly which can make it a little difficult to work with.  I used two coats for my swatch.


Sunset Seeker is a red-orange matte.  Now this one I didn't realize that it was meant to be matte so I put top coat on it.  I'm not a huge fan of the colour (both matte or glossy).  The formula is a little tricky to work with because it is matte and likes to pull as it dries.  My swatch shows two coats.


Sun-Set The Mood is described as a hot coral creme.  I think this is a nice colour but it is quite sheer.  I used four coats for my swatch and there is still a slight visible nail line.  I would recommend using this with a base colour.


I think there are some really nice colours in this collection, but as an overall collection I am not excited by it.  I was hoping for something more exciting or something along the lines of the Lite Brites Collection or the Sunsational Collection.  Maybe China Glaze will surprise us with some more Summer collections seems they have released three Spring collections.

What do you think of this collection?

7 comments:

  1. I feel the same way as you do about this collection - Lite Brites from summer 2016 was so good that this one doesn't quite live up to it. Having said that, I've got my eyes on Emerald Bae (haven't got an emerald green creme in my stash), I Truly Azure You & maybe Simply Fa-blue-less & All Glammed Up (although I have several minty hues in my stash).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about this collection. I think that last couple of collections have been disappointing as a whole but they both have some great polishes in them.

      Those polishes you have your eyes on are nice ones to have. I haven't really looked through my collection but I don't think I have a dupe for All Glammed Up. It seems to be brighter than most but not super bright if that makes sense.

      Delete
  2. I really like China Glaze , in fact it is my favourite polish brand. And I'm also disapointed. I live in Czech Republic and the collection isn't out yet here.. and now, I don't know whether to look forward to the release .. maybe the pastel collection will turn up better 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG is definitely one of my favourite polish brands, unfortunately they are very hard to find here in Australia so I have to buy mine from the US. The pastel collection is gorgeous! I have it, but haven't had the time to swatch them yet. I have done a few nail art manis on IG using them though :)

      Delete
    2. I have to check your IG profile again then :) It is quite easy to get them here, once the collection is released, but they are almost twice as expensive as those from the US, so I usually wait until they reduce the price :D otherwise I would only go to work to buy polishes :D

      Delete
    3. Polishes here are super expensive too (especially when you compare it to the US). OPI I believe is $8 in the US (I buy it online for $5) but instores here is a minimum of $20. So crazy! I'm glad you guys get CGs even if they are super expensive. Sales are always a good time to shop. I'm currently swatching my way through the CG Spring Pastel Collection now so I should have that up mid next week :)

      Delete
    4. Great, I can't wait to see the collection :)

      Delete